Don't Walk

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend. (Copyright Russ Bernie and Company, Inc)

Monday 14 May 2007

Call me Ishmael




It was party weekend and despite the weather doing it's best to hamper our friends preparations everything was ready for the big event on Saturday evening. The weather brightened up and we even had a little sunshine for the early evening arrivals. It was a splendid evening probably most notable for the fact that all our various offspring aged between 14 and 20 had a fab night together and boogied to the small hours. They are all such good dancers - no idea where they get that from because universally their parents (particularly father's) seem to steer well clear of such physical activity. The evening was topped off by a spendid firework display from Mr Pyrotechnic (aka my husband) and his carbon copy. Unfortunately I couldn't get to grips with the special firework setting on the new camera, as a consequence I have a lot of black picture, so no stunning bursting firework picture to decorate to days entry. We will make do with a picture of my friend's lovely flower displays that decorated the marquee.

So onto Call me Ishmael. Stuck-in-a-book may be suprised to hear that I have started to read Moby Dick. It is a scruffy copy that I picked up from a book stall at the Great Comberton Flower Festival last year. If I remember rightly SiaB did read it but found it rather a chore. I am about three chapters in and have found that if i get the voice right in my head I can quite enjoy it. It rambles rather but if I read it in a light voice it reminds me of some of those all night conversations that I remeber having as a student that run a bit like a game of Word Association Football or even a research episode on Wikipedia. So I have high hopes that I might get through it at a reasonable pace; especially as tonight Mr Pyrotechnic is away so it could be a late night reading session.
Tomorrow there is a get together of the summer reading group so I shall pick up a new book to read there to.
Now it is time to get back to reading about the Occupier's Liability Act 1984, frankly it doesn't make any difference what voice I chose to read this in, it is still a chore and has to be liberally interspersed with other activities (like blogging) otherwise lethargy sets in and my head sinks to the desk and I get transported to other realms where an occupiers liability to an uninvited visitor is of no consequence whatsoever.

1 comment:

StuckInABook said...

Indeed, I did read it, and find it a chore... (though did like it in bits - the bits with action). The Wikipedia comparison is very apt, I think - he mosies off to think about something at a tangent, and so forth. Well, I was probably too young for it, so might return in years to come...

First exam went ok! More on't over on SiaB later today