Don't Walk

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend. (Copyright Russ Bernie and Company, Inc)

Thursday 10 May 2007

New Bed, New day



I started the day having a play with my new camera and experimented with the close-up setting. Despite the breeze and dull skies I was very pleased with the results. Close-up flowers are great for birthday cards.

Then the new bed, a futon arrived; so I spent a happy morning following instructions and we now have a complete new bed that finishes off the recently re-fitted bedroom. We already had a new bed......but that's another story. Now I am looking forward to a good nights sleep; hopefully without too much brick counting.

I have also finished reading "Healing with Meditation" a book that has been on my shelf for around 10 years that I occaisonally dip into when I am struggling to maintain my focus on the important jobs at hand (the essay, the photo album etc.). And yes I did do some of the background reading yesterday and today I have settled down and done some more of the photo album. Tomorrow will be dedicated to getting all the photos in even if I don't finish all the embellishments and journalling.

I don't seem to have read much for several months - again down to my inability to focus, but this is passing and I have read two other books this week. "Never Let me Go" by Ishiguro I found particularly compelling; though I felt somehow unsatisfied at the end. The subject matter is challenging - questioning what it means to be human - but in a way that makes you want the central characters to be more human, even though they are - kind of! I think that comment would make sense if you have read it. The other was Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki, a great account. When I looked him up to find out more I was disappointed to find out that in recent years much of his diffusionist theory has been discredited by more scientific anthropologists. Though from a science persuasion myself I continue to be irritated by the attitude of so called scientific experts.

I took time out to watch the live broadcast of Mr Blair telling us when he will bow out gracefully. I thought it was a good speech but then they so often are but I do struggle not to jaded and cynical when I see any politician being sincere! Still there could be some interesting times ahead.

Now my new bed and bricks are calling me.

1 comment:

StuckInABook said...

Very purty flower, and doubtless very fancy camera. I never seem to remember to take photos before night, and so they're always dark, or in a falsely bright lamplight. Must Do Better.

I watched the Blair speech (on YouTube, no less) and was genuinely moved. Did you see the Catherine Tate sketch with him? It completely changed my mind about him - obviously quite a Good Sport.